Opened 13 years ago

Closed 13 years ago

Last modified 13 years ago

#2247 closed Bug (wontfix)

Download progress should exclude skipped files

Reported by: Bytec Owned by: kjg
Priority: Normal Milestone: 1.73
Component: Web Client Version: 1.72
Severity: Normal Keywords:
Cc:

Description

I noticed that transmission does not exclude skipped files from download progress calculation.

µTorrent properly calculates download progress if some files are skipped. And therefore ETA is also calculated more precise.

Attachments (3)

TRemote_NET.png (71.2 KB) - added by Bytec 13 years ago.
Transmission Remote .NET
TWeb_GUI.png (59.4 KB) - added by Bytec 13 years ago.
Transmission Web GUI
TBT_web_svn8752.png (55.2 KB) - added by Bytec 13 years ago.

Download all attachments as: .zip

Change History (20)

comment:1 Changed 13 years ago by livings124

On Mac this can be toggled in the action menu

comment:2 follow-up: Changed 13 years ago by charles

Bytec: are you talking about the mac, gtk, qt, or web client? I'm pretty sure the gtk & qt progress display *does* exclude skipped files from download calculation.

comment:3 in reply to: ↑ 2 Changed 13 years ago by Bytec

Replying to charles:

Bytec: are you talking about the mac, gtk, qt, or web client? I'm pretty sure the gtk & qt progress display *does* exclude skipped files from download calculation.

I use web interface and Transmission Remote .NET. They both show different results and both of them are wrong.

comment:4 Changed 13 years ago by charles

I use web interface and Transmission Remote .NET. They both show different results and both of them are wrong.

Now we're getting somewhere :)

Could you make screenshots of the two GUIs being wrong, and annotate what they *should* say? That would be very helpful.

comment:5 follow-up: Changed 13 years ago by kjg

The web interface updates the percentage correctly for me using 1.72 with two caveats. The percentage doesn't change until the next gui update, so it may not happen immediately if you have the gui refresh rate set high.

Also, it doesn't seem to update if the torrent hasn't been active "recently". i.e. if it has been paused for awhile. I can fix these two caveats pretty easily.

Is it possible you were running into one of those two issues?

Changed 13 years ago by Bytec

Transmission Remote .NET

Changed 13 years ago by Bytec

Transmission Web GUI

comment:6 Changed 13 years ago by Bytec

So I attached two screenshots.

Transmission Remote .NET shows Download progress as 44.64%. Transmission Web GUI shows Download progress as 62.21%.

So you can see the results are very different.

But the real progress should be approx. 36.54%.

comment:7 Changed 13 years ago by livings124

Transmission Remote .NET isn't maintained here, so we only need to worry about the web ui

comment:8 Changed 13 years ago by charles

10:34 <@kjg> the web client just takes the numbers it gets from rpc
10:35 <@kjg> ( this._sizeWhenDone - this._leftUntilDone ) / this._sizeWhenDone;
10:36 <@kjg> which are all rpc values
10:37 <@charles_> that looks right to me
10:37 <@charles_> oh wait
10:37 <@charles_> wasn't _sizeWhenDone just set once, on startup, in 1.72?
10:37 <@charles_> I bet that's the problem
10:38 <@kjg> yep, size when done was only set on startup till you changed that in 2238, that probably is it.

Bytec: could you repeat this test on a nightly build of r8744 or higher to see if that resolves the issue? (Note: remember to flush your cache so that your browser knows to load in the updated client.) If it still fails, could you please make another screenshot?

comment:9 Changed 13 years ago by charles

Bytec: ping

comment:10 Changed 13 years ago by Bytec

Oh, I'm sorry. I'm not that good with Linux stuff to compile and try out nightly builds.

I installed Transmission on my NAS box trough IPKG packages ...

comment:11 Changed 13 years ago by ajf88

I think you can just overwrite the old .js files with the ones from svn, so no recompilation necessary. Unless I'm misunderstanding the responses here and the changes are in libtransmission/daemon.

The incorrect progress in transmission-remote-dotnet was my mistake and nothing to do with Transmission, as it was calculating the percentage over totalSize instead of sizeWhenDone. Should be fixed now, see the reponse to the issue I left that project's site.

comment:12 Changed 13 years ago by charles

  • Component changed from Transmission to Web Client
  • Owner set to kjg

comment:13 Changed 13 years ago by Bytec

So I took transmission-svn8752 and replaced javascript files on my NAS box with these new ones.

Unfortunately this bug remains. I checked that on Chrome & Firefox after cache cleaning.

See the screenshot TBT_web_svn8752.png. Does partially downloaded, but later skipped files influence DL progress calculation?

Changed 13 years ago by Bytec

comment:14 Changed 13 years ago by charles

  • Resolution set to wontfix
  • Status changed from new to closed

Ah, I see your point.

No, calculating how many bytes we have of each file is pretty expensive to do. There haven't been any complaints about this before, so IMO this is not a serious enough bug to warrant the extra CPU of doing this for each file, in each torrent, periodically.

comment:15 Changed 13 years ago by charles

  • Component changed from Web Client to libtransmission

comment:16 in reply to: ↑ 5 Changed 13 years ago by kjg

  • Milestone changed from None Set to 1.73

Replying to kjg:

The percentage doesn't change until the next gui update, so it may not happen immediately if you have the gui refresh rate set high.

Also, it doesn't seem to update if the torrent hasn't been active "recently". i.e. if it has been paused for awhile.

These have big fixed as of r8761

comment:17 Changed 13 years ago by charles

  • Component changed from libtransmission to Web Client
Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.