Opened 7 years ago

Last modified 7 years ago

#4061 new Bug

'Time Elapsed' Is Incorrect

Reported by: rwb Owned by: rwb
Priority: Normal Milestone: None Set
Component: Transmission Version: 2.21
Severity: Normal Keywords: Inspector, Time, Elapsed, Wrong, Incorrect, rwb


Transmission 2.21+ [12037] OS X 10.6.6 iMac 9,1

In the Activity tab of Torrent Inspector, Time Elapsed for both Downloading and for Seeding are being wrongly-reported.

Torrents which have been running from a few days up to a number of months are shown with incorrect downloading times, and wrong seeding times which seem to get stuck in a loop at around 10 to 14 days.

The error occurs on most, if not all torrents, and has been noticed ever since the Time Elapsed data was introduced.

The attached files show samples of live torrents. 1.jpg-3.jpg are for three older torrents, and 4.jpg-6.jpg are the same three torrents, about 8 hours later. The final attachment is for a torrent which has been running for about a week.

Attachments (2) (156.3 KB) - added by rwb 7 years ago.
Sample Screen Grabs
Elapsed Time Discrepancies.ods (10.5 KB) - added by rwb 7 years ago.
120 hour data

Download all attachments as: .zip

Change History (8)

Changed 7 years ago by rwb

Sample Screen Grabs

comment:1 Changed 7 years ago by livings124

Is r12047 (or later) any better?

Changed 7 years ago by rwb

120 hour data

comment:2 Changed 7 years ago by rwb

The new attachment shows the results of 120 hours of running with build 12108. Times are now being shown a little better, in that they are counting beyond the earlier values, but note the sudden discrepancies which appear between 48 and 84 hours.

Note also the fact that the older torrents [1 to 7] are all showing wrong timings.The new torrent [8] is so far displaying more-or-less correct timings. I'll keep monitoring that one, in particular, for a few weeks, but with newer nightly builds, to see whether or not it shows the same wrong times; it's too early to tell right now.

Expect another report towards the end of this month.

Last edited 7 years ago by rwb (previous) (diff)

comment:3 Changed 7 years ago by jordan

Thanks for the update.

comment:4 Changed 7 years ago by rwb

You're welcome.

I've updated to r12116, retired two torrents, then added another two, and things have gone haywire. Relating to the attached table, the following times were obtained at T +144h:

Torrent 2: 15d 20h 55m,

Torrent 3: 15d 01h 08m,

Torrent 5: 06d 16h 00m,

Torrent 6: 16d 16h 00m,

Torrent 7: 14d 07h 30m,

Torrent 8: 05d 13h 56m.

Transmission was stopped for less than 5 minutes during the past 24 hours. Given this evidence, I'll keep monitoring those six, whilst updating nightly builds as normal.

comment:5 Changed 7 years ago by livings124

Are you still having issues, especially with the torrents added from r12116? (I wouldn't expect torrents with bad times to fix themselves)

comment:6 Changed 7 years ago by rwb

The issues continue, with incorrect times being reported by both old and new torrents.

I recorded data this morning, and next changed from r12170 to r12182, then immediately looked at the times again. This has confirmed something which I have suspected for a while: Times get garbled between updates. Here are figures for 4 torrents, all of which were started within the past fortnight. Elapsed seeding times were noted, about 5 to 10 minutes apart, first with r12170 and then with r12182:

Torrent 8 : 12d 00h 14m became 11d 15h 36m

Torrent 9 : 05d 06h 38m became 03d 15h 45m

Torrent 10: 04d 22h 39m became 03d 05h 46m

Torrent 11: 04d 06h 56m became 04d 06h 42m

The 'recorded time' changes are not the same for all torrents, with 11 having the smallest discrepancy, but I did note that for most of the old torrents [1 to 7], the discrepancies were between 1 and 2 days over this 5-to 10-minute update period.

Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.