Thanks to the powerful rpc, transmission-remote can talk to any client that has the rpc enabled. This means that a script written using transmission-remote or rpc can, without rewrite, comunicate with all the Transmission clients: GTK+ client, Mac client and the daemon.
Mac OS users may wonder wether there will be Applescript scripts, the answer is no. Although Applescript is a nice technology, it's a pain to implement. However, Mac OS X is a Unix after all, so any script you find here will also work on the Mac. Even from within Applescript, you can run these scripts by typing: do shell script "path/to/script".
If you are interested at writing scripts for Transmission, have a look at the following pages:
- Transmission man pages?
- Configuration Files?
- Editing Configuration Files?
- Environment Variables?
- RPC Protocol Specification
For those who need more information how to use the scripts, have a look at the following links:
- Cron How-To: Run scripts at a regular interval
- init.d script (Debian, Ubuntu and BSD deratives)
- runscript (Gentoo and other runscript compatible systems)
On Torrent Completion
Transmission can be set to invoke a script when downloads complete. The environment variables supported are:
Here is an example script that sends an email when a torrent finishes.
Functionality of these scripts has been implemented in libtransmission and is thus available in all clients.
Tomas Carnecky (aka wereHamster) is maintaining a set of scripts in his github repository.
Falk Husemann (aka hxgn) is maintaining scripts in his blog.
oguz wrote on his blog a PHP script to stop Transmission after it finishes downloading and seeding. Scripts which have not yet been ported and may not work with the latest version:
- http://pastie.org/338556: Python - Fetch new torrents from tvrss
- http://pastie.org/338555: PHP - Stop finished torrents
- http://pastie.org/443058: Perl - Network traffic graph, based on rrdtool (example: http://skitch.com/werehamster/bmjg8/bittorrent-traffic)
- http://transmission.pastebin.com/QzVxQDtM: Bash - (cron)script to keep a maximum number of torrents running; starting and pausing torrents as necessary
- https://github.com/jaboto/Transmission-script - (cron)script set network limits according to the number of clients in the network